A panel on “Communicating to Women on Global Issues” convened on the occasion of International Women’s Day at the Palais des Nations on March 6 1. The panel was an opportunity to examine how women’s magazines and other media with a high female audience communicate on major issues of our time. The goal was to discuss the role of mass media in successfully shaping culture and society toward a more equitable future.
The main suggestions from the panel were:
- Mobilize women and connect them to global issues by:
- Showing them the impact of gender differences.
- Empowering women by making them aware of the actions they can take.
- Involving women without victimizing or stigmatizing them.
Leah Constance Nodvin
- The panelists included the Director General of the United Nations Geneva, editors from major women’s magazines, a representative from the International Organization of Francophonie, the Deputy Director of the United Nations Development Program, and a Political Science Professor from Geneva. ↩